ISSN 2413-2322 (Online)
ISSN 2221-1055 (Print)
UDS: 631.1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.32317/2221-1055.202107016
Наукове забезпечення розвитку агропромислового комплексу
Ensuring food security amid the spread of COVID-19 / Pugachov M.I., Khodakivska O.V., Shpykuliak O.H., Patyka N.I., Hryshchenko O.Yu. // Ekonomika APK. - 2021. - № 7 - P. 16
The purpose of the article is to carry out an analytical assessing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the level of food security in Ukraine. Research methods. The research was based on general scientific and economic methods, the creative heritage of the founders of economic science, publications of Ukrainian and foreign scientists on the impact of quarantine restrictions related to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic on the level of food security of the country, regulatory legal acts, data from the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, electronic resources and other sources. The monographic approach is used to analyze the dynamics of the actual consumption of agri-food products and the level of food independence for individual agri-food products. Normative and positive approaches are used to highlight real risks and threats to food security. A number of techniques of abstract-logical tools made it possible to make a scientific and applied generalization of the material presented, to formulate intermediate and final conclusions and proposals. Research results. An analytical assessing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the consumption of agri-food products and the level of food independence for individual agri-food products has been carried out. It has been proven that Ukraine produces enough food to ensure healthy nutrition for citizens. It has been determined that due to the low purchasing power of the population, groups of citizens with low incomes have limited access to essential agricultural and food products. In the medium and long term, there will be a shortage of food resources and global food inflation, the situation in agricultural markets will remain unstable, and trade will continue to develop under the influence of not only competition, but also political factors. Scientific novelty. The theoretical and methodological provisions, scientific, methodological and practical approaches to determining the factors of influence of quarantine measures and the spread of COVID-19 to the level of food security of the state have been substantiated. Assessing the impact of quarantine measures and the spread of COVID-19 on food security made it possible to identify the main risks of ensuring the country's food security. Practical significance. The applied aspects of the study can be taken into account in the formation of programs for the socio-economic development of the agri-food sector of Ukraine, which will increase the effectiveness of state initiatives aimed at ensuring food security of the state and increase the country's readiness for force majeure threats. Tabl.: 7. Figs.: 3. Refs.: 17.
Key words: agricultural sector; food security; the COVID-19 pandemic; influencing factors; food, agri-food market
- Babych, M.M. (2018). Formuvannia systemy prodovolchoi bezpeky: teoriia, metodolohiia, praktyka [Formation of food security system: theory, methodology, practice]. Mykolaiv : MNAU [In Ukrainian].
- Varaksina, O.V. & Tytatrenko, A.A. (2020). Pryntsypy formuvannia prodovolchoi bezpeky natsionalnoi ekonomiky: teoretychnyi aspekt [Principles of food security formation of the national economy: theoretical aspect]. Ekonomika ta suspilstvo. Vyp. 22. [In Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.32782/2524-0072/2020-22-32.
- Hoichuk, O.I. (2004). Prodovolcha bezpeka [Food security]. Zhytomyr : Polissia [In Ukrainian].
- Deiaki pytannia prodovolchoi bezpeky : Postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 5 hrudnia 2007 r. # 1379 [Some issues of food security: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of December 5, 2007 No. 1379]. Retrieved from : http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1379-2007-%D0%BF [In Ukrainian].
- Kurliak, M.D. (2018). Formuvannia systemy natsionalnoi prodovolchoi bezpeky Ukrainy [Formation of the system of national food security of Ukraine]. Lviv : Rastr-7 [In Ukrainian].
- Mytsenko, I.M. (2001). Prodovolcha bezpeka Ukrainy: otsinka stanu i svitovyi dosvid vyrishennia problemy [Food security of Ukraine: assessment of the situation and world experience in solving the problem]. Kirovohrad [In Ukrainian].
- Misiuk, M.V. & Zakhodym, M.V. (2021). Rozvytok rynku moloka v konteksti zabezpechennia prodovolchoi bezpeky krainy. Development of the milk market in the context of ensuring the country's food security]. Ekonomika APK, 1, pp. 34 - 43 [In Ukrainian].
- Mudrak, R.P. (2011). Natsionalna prodovolcha bezpeka v umovakh vidkrytoi ekonomiky: sut problemy ta sposoby yii vyrishennia [National food security in an open economy: the essence of the problem and ways to solve it]. Uman : Sochinskyi [In Ukrainian].
- Oriientovanyi nabir osnovnoi prodovolchoi syrovyny i kharchovykh produktiv dlia zabezpechennia u serednomu na dushu naselennia na 2005–2015 roky [Targeted set of basic food raw materials and food products to provide on average per capita for 2005-2015]. Retrieved from : http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0088-13 [In Ukrainian].
- Paskhaver, B.Yo. (2014). Suchasnyi stan prodovolchoi bezpeky [The current state of food security]. Ekonomika APK, 4, pp. 5–12 [In Ukrainian].
- Fedulov, I.V., et al. (2013). Prodovolcha bezpeka: sutnist, stan ta osoblyvosti zabezpechennia [Food security: essence, state and features of provision]. Kyiv : Kondor–Vydavnytstvo [In Ukrainian].
- Dibrova, A.D. & Andriievskyi, V.Ye. (2014). Rehuliuvannia ahrarnoho sektora ekonomiky Ukrainy v umovakh yevrointehratsii [Regulation of the agricultural sector of Ukraine's economy in terms of European integration]. Kyiv : NUBiP [In Ukrainian].
- Rumyk, I.I. (2015). Systemnyi pidkhid do zabezpechennia prodovolchoi bezpeky [A systematic approach to food security]. Vcheni zapysky universytetu KROK. Seriia: Ekonomika, 39, pp. 31-40 [In Ukrainian].
- Stezhko, N.V. (2014). Prodovolcha problema v umovakh hlobalizatsii svitovoi ekonomiky [Food problem in the context of globalization of the world economy]. Kirovohrad : TOV «Polihraf servis» [In Ukrainian].
- Barua, S. (2020). Understanding Coronanomics: The Economic Implications of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic. SSRN Electron. J. [In English]. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3566477
- Hobbs, J.E. (2020). Food Supply Chains during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Can. J. Agric. Econ. Can. D’agroeconomie, 68, pp. 171–176 [In English]. https://doi.org/10.1111/cjag.12237.
- Obykhod, H., Khvesyk, Y. & Malkov, M. (2020). Impact of coronavirus on the state of food security and treatment of medical waste. Ekonomika pryrodokorystuvannia i stalyi rozvytok, 8, pp. 6-12 [In English].
Read article: ekonomikaapk_2021_07_p_16_27.pdf