ISSN 2413-2322 (Online)
ISSN 2221-1055 (Print)
UDS: 338.439 DOI: https://doi.org/10.32317/2221-1055.202108111
Food supplying in Ukraine and the world under COVID-19 pandemic / Dukhnytskyi B.V. // Ekonomika APK. - 2021. - № 8 - P. 111
The purpose of the article is to study an impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the functioning of global agricultural market, situation with food supplying in Ukraine and other countries, as well as to assess development of related processes in the near future. Research methods. Methods used: theoretical generalization - for describing the overall situation in global, regional and national agri-food markets due to the effects of coronavirus pandemic from 2020 to the present, analysis and synthesis - for studying food security in separate countries and globally for now and in the near future, taking into account current situation, finding aggregate values of world agricultural trade for the analyzed period, comparative evaluation - for comparing quantitative, cost and other relative indicators that characterize food supplying in 2019 and 2020, finding confirmatory or negative relevant trends during the incomplete year 2021, graphical and tabular - for better visualization of quantitative indicators used in the article. Research results. The dissemination of anti-pandemic measures in the world and in Ukraine is considered, the growth of absolute and relative food expenditures in different regions of the world is shown, quantitative data on undernourished people in some parts of the world are given, the situation with agri-food imports to Ukraine and its influence in 2020-2021 on the domestic market is determined, price indices for food in the world according to FAO and Ukraine according to state statistics, including quantitative consumption, are described, showed summary estimations for production major groups of crop and livestock products until 2030 inclusive. Scientific novelty. The difference in indicators of agri-food trade, food expenditures, number of people suffering from hunger, as well as price indices for basic food products in the world in general and in Ukraine in particular between "pre-pandemic" 2019 and 2020-2021, which are characterized by significant spread of the pandemic. Practical significance. The provisions of the article are aimed at informing Ukrainian agricultural enterprises with foreign economic profile, consumers of products and government agencies about changes in domestic and foreign agricultural markets in order to develop a common strategy and tactics of possible actions and systematical measures to prevent negative consequences due to significant increase in uncertainties over the past period. Tabl.: 2. Figs.: 2. Refs.: 17.
Key words: COVID-19 pandemic; trade restrictions; food expenditures; number of undernourished people; price index; food consumption; production forecast
- Agrarni perspektyvy Ukrainy 2017-2030: Bazovyi stsenariy [Agrarian prospects of Ukraine 2017-2030: Baseline scenario]. (2017). Retrieved from: https://apd-ukraine.de/images/APD_APR_06-2017_AGMEMOD_Baseline_ukr.pdf [In Ukrainian].
- Vytraty i resursy domogospodarstv Ukrainy u 2020 rotsi (2021). [Expenditures and resources of households in Ukraine in 2020]. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/kat_u/2021/zb/07/zb_vrdu2020_pdf.pdf [In Ukrainian].
- Vlasov, V.I. (2012). Globalistyka: istoriya, teoriya: monografiia u 2 t. [Globalistics: History, Theory: monograph: 2 vols.]. Vinnytsya: TOV «Nilan-LTD» [In Ukrainian].
- Derzhavna mytna sluzhba Ukrainy [State Customs Service of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: https://customs.gov.ua [In Ukrainian].
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy [State Statistics Service of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua [In Ukrainian].
- Ekspres-ogliad osnovnykh indykatoriv prodovolchoi bezpeky v Ukraini u 2019 rotsi (2020). [Express review the main indicators of food security in Ukraine in 2019]. Retrieved from: http://edclub.com.ua/analityka/ekspres-oglyad-osnovnyh-indykatoriv-prodovolchoyi-bezpeky-v-ukrayini-u-2019-roci [In Ukrainian].
- Shpychak, O.M., Lupenko, Yu.O., Zhuk, V.M., et al. (2015). Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo otsinky yemnosti vnutrishnoho rynku silskohospodarskoi produktsii ta prodovolstva [Methodical recommendations for estimation the capacity of internal agricultural and food market]. O.M. Shpychak (Ed.). Kyiv: NNTs «IAE» [In Ukrainian].
- Lupenko, Yu.O., Pugachov, M.I., Dukhnytskyi, B.V., et al. (2015). Formuvannia globalnoho i regionalnogo rynkiv silskogospodarskoi syrovyny ta prodovolstva: monografiia [Formation of global and regional markets for agricultural raw and food: monograph]. Yu.O. Lupenko, M.I. Pugachov (Ed.). Kyiv: NNTs «IAE» [In Ukrainian].
- Shpykuliak, O.G., Khodakivska, O.V., Pugachov, M.I. & Hryschenko, O.Yu. (2021). Rozvytok agrarnogo sektoru ekonomiky Ukrainy v umovah vplyvu pandemii COVID-19 [Development an agricultural sector of Ukrainian economy in conditions of impact the COVID-19 pandemic]. Ekonomika APK, 6, pp. 26–41 [In Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.32317/2221-1055.202106026
- Data on expenditures on food and alcoholic beverages in selected countries (2020). Retrieved from: https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/international-markets-us-trade/international-consumer-and-food-industry-trends [In English].
- FAO Food Price Index (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/foodpricesindex/en [In English].
- FAOSTAT (2021). Retrieved from: http://www.fao.org/faostat/en [In English].
- International Trade Centre. (2021). Retrieved from: http://www.intracen.org [In English].
- OECD FAO Agricultural Outlook 2021 2030 (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.fao.org/3/cb5332en/cb5332en.pdf [In English].
- The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2021. (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.fao.org/3/cb4474en/cb4474en.pdf [In English].
- Overview of adopted COVID-19 trade measures (2021). Retrieved from: https://www.macmap.org/covid19 [In English].
- Christophe Béné, Deborah Bakker, Mónica JulianaChavarro, Brice Even, Jenny Melo & Anne Sonneveld. Global assessment of the impacts of COVID-19 on food security. (2021). Global Food Security, Volume 31, December 2021. Retrieved from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211912421000833?via%3Dihub
Read article: ekonomikaapk_2021_08_p_111_120.pdf